Saturday, October 22, 2011

No parking problem


I wanted to stop and take a photo of a little dog with a cute dog coat a chilly day. But... I passed the man with the dog and couldn't bring myself to ask if I could take a photo of his little pet. I was so disappointed at myself. What was I afraid of?  Would it be so hard if I got a no for answer.

Suddenly when I got closer to the church I saw that the helicopter that I had heard some minutes earlier above me was standing on the lawn in front of the Manor. I thought it was an unusual kind of parking, and now something miraculously happened!  I felt that my legs went towards the helicopter man, and my mouth beguine to open up. My ears heard my voice talking to the man about what he was doing there and finally:
- Can I take a photo of the helicopter?
I felt like a winner when I left the man who was waiting for the local airport to open, which is 12 on Saturdays. He had landed because he thought he could drop some equipment at the hotel reception of the Manor. But that was also closed at this time.....


This photo was taken some weeks earlier when we visited the Manor which has a fine restaurant. The red house in the background is the hotel part. During our dinner my youngest went around in the house and took so many photos of everything she thought was beautiful and interesting. As I have them in my computer I want show you some of them.


The photos were taken some days after Bart Boehlert wrote on his blog how he had bought gladiolas and remembered the time when he was a kid and his mother used to buy them at farmers market. But I didn't know that my daughter had taken these photos when I wrote a comment that I like them so much and Bart answered that we should bring them back.




I like this photo so much because of the perspective my daughter had when she watched and adored this painting. We haven't got any snow yet but yesterday we talked about how much she longed for winter and snow.

4 comments:

Naturally Carol said...

Hi..I am your latest follower. You've had an interesting day with your photography! I hope you have a lovely week.

Ms. Becky said...

Hi Ella, whenever I see a new post from you in my Google Reader I squeal with delight. I see a resemblance between your photo of the lodge and the painting.
I am familiar with the feelings of hesitation regarding asking permission to take a photo. you know, I've gotten bold of late, and simply snap away. I was recently in an elementary school taking photos of an art display made by the students. a woman came out of the office and asked me what I was doing. I responded "taking photos". she told me I couldn't do that, I needed permission. I turned and looked her in the eye and said "that's absurd". and walked away.
I wasn't taking any photos of students, nor the classrooms, nor any person at all. it was a display that greeted people as they entered the premises. it was student art.
I thought that even if I DID need permission, which I doubted, it was truly an absurd rule. I suspected that she was simply the sort who needed to control every little thing that happened. and I put myself in the place of any parent with a child in that school and decided that I wasn't out of line. if wasn't as if I was photographing any children, as I said. so I sometimes think that timidity is a good thing, and other times, no. I so understand how you feel.
happy day to you Ella. all the best.

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

What a great place Ella. I am like you...will NOT ask for a photo and then WISH that I had! Good for you for the helicopter photo!!

I too love the winter scene in that painting! So pretty!

JMW said...

What a beautiful hotel! And can you imagine having your own helicopter to just "drop off" your belongings at the hotel? I would probably be just as hesitant as you to ask someone to take a photo. I don't want them to think I'm odd. But, good for you to request the helicopter shot - not something you see every day!