Monday, January 30, 2012

A very special heritage


I'm reading a book by Lucy Dillon, Lost Dogs and Lonely Hearts where a woman inherits everything that had belonged to her aunt. She moves into the house and discovers that the her her aunt has been living a quite different life in her youth that wasn't known to her family. There are beautiful expensive dresses in the closets and a lots of accessories and jewelries. This is just one little part of the book, but it reminded me of my grandmother (my father's mother). It wasn't that she had a lot of beautiful dresses, no but I inherited a very special one from her.


In the late seventies she wove the fabrics to four costumes. They were made for her two daughters, my mother and one for her self. There were different weaves for various parts of the costumes. I have tried weaving very simple kind of mats and I've always been so fascinated of all that she made through her whole lifetime. I've been told that she started as a little girl and learned how to do it just by looking at older relatives. 


When my mother got the fabrics she were together with others on a course so she could manage to sew all parts of the costume. She had sewed dresses before but I think this was a bit different. When I was younger I wore my mothers costume, but when my grandmother died I inherited hers. 


It feels like I've got two heritage in one as it's both the work of her hands and the costume itself. 


There's only on very special occasions that we wear these costumes so I didn't feel like putting it on right now and take some kind of posturing selfie. But who knows, maybe I have it some day and someone catch it on a photo.

3 comments:

patty said...

Wow - what a precious gift that is, Ella! What beautiful handiwork. I think my grandmother did some kind of detail work too, but I have no idea what or where it is.... sad. I do have a velvet dress my Mom used to have and I actually wore it once. I don't think I will wear it again but I can't seem to part with it... one of the only things I have left of hers except quite a bit of her writing. Things take on such a new significance after the person is gone!

JMW said...

Lovely garments! And the sentimental value makes them even more special.

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

How very special Ella! AND beautifully kept too. I think a selfie may be in order!